These teams have received an invitation (1 per team) :
- Porsche Team (LMP1) : Winner in LMP1 at Le Mans 2015
- KCMG (LMP2) : Winner in LMP2 at Le Mans 2015
- Greaves Motorsport (LMP2) : ELMS champion in LMP2
- Team LNT (LMP2) : ELMS Champion in LMP3
- Race Performance (LMP2) : Asian Le Mans Series champion in LMP2
- Michael Shank Racing (LMP2) : selected by TUSC
- DC Racing (LMP2 or GTE-Am) : Asian Le Mans Series champion in LMP3
- Corvette Racing (GTE-Pro) : Winner in GTE-Pro at Le Mans 2015
- SMP Racing (GTE-Am) : Winner in GTE-Am at Le Mans 2015
- Formula Racing (GTE-Pro or GTE-Am) : ELMS champion in LM GTE
- BMW Team MarcVDS (GTE-Pro or GTE-Am) : 2nd in ELMS LM GTE
- TDS Racing (GTE-Am) : ELMS champion in GTC
- Scuderia Corse (GTE-Am): selected by TUSC
- Clearwater Racing (GTE-Pro or Am) : Asian Le Mans Series champion in GT
The garage 56 entry has already been given to Sausset Racing Team 41 (SRT41), who will compete in a Morgan Onroak LMP2. This innovative sporting project will highlight several technologies devoted to help people with reduced mobility.
Each invitation will only be confirmed if the car in question is entered in one of the following three championships in 2016 : European Le Mans Series, Asian Le Mans Series and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
The complete entry list for the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours will be presented on the 5th of February at a press conference in Paris. The entry lists for the WEC and ELMS championships will also be announced at the same time.