Friday 19 January 2018

FIA WEC: van der Garde joins Racing Team Nederland

Racing Team Nederland, the first Dutch team entering the FIA World Endurance Championship, has announced Giedo van der Garde as one of their drivers for the WEC "Super Season". 

32 year old Giedo van der Garde, a former Fomula 1 driver, debuted in sportscar racing in 2016, winning the European Le Mans title in the Jota/G-Drive Oreca with Simon Dolan and Harry Tincknell.  With Racing Team Nederland, the Dutchman now returns to endurance racing for a full world championship campaign in a Gibson powered Dallara P217.

Frits van Eerd, founder of Racing Team Nederland and the designated Am driver in the team: “I am delighted that Giedo has joined us. He is fast, experienced and highly motivated. Our debut in the world championship is a fantastic challenge, so it’s great to embark on it with a driver of this calibre.”

Giedo van der Garde: “I am very happy that Racing Team Nederland and Frits have given me this great opportunity. I like the team’s ambitions and I want to be a part of it. The world championship is highly competitive and the Le Mans 24 Hours is one of the greatest races in the world. It will be special to compete in it again. The target is that as a team, we will keep improving each other, so that ultimately we can challenge for the podium. I am very much looking forward to it! In my first race in endurance racing I became champion, but in the Le Mans 24 Hours we retired on Sunday morning. Because of my love for endurance racing, as well as the history and romanticism of Le Mans, I can’t wait to start racing for Racing Team Nederland.”